X-Men The next generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next generation of Mutant teens learning Cicero and Saving the world

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wren McKenna

Character sheet
Power: Phoenix Mimicry

Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) Empty
PostSubject: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Wren couldn’t be happier. She’d known yesterday that today was going to be a nice warm day. She’d woken up with the sun shining down through her window and on her face. It already felt warm and she couldn’t wait to get outside, under the clear blue sky she could see through the glass of her window. She made her way to the shower, using the time to decide how she was going to use the day. She was sure it was going to be too hot to go running, or work on her powers. Besides for once, Wren felt like she wanted a day to relax. Standing under the stream of water, she knew what she wanted to do with her day.

Finishing her shower, Wren moved to dry off and get dressed. She didn’t have a whole lot in the way of clothes anymore, but she’d somehow managed to keep track of one swimsuit and she was determined to finally wear it today. Digging through her drawers she found it, still with tags intact. She smirked, reaching to snap the tags of and hurrying to get the swimsuit and matching shorts on. She checked her reflection in the mirror, slipping a headband on her head and grabbing a towel and her book. She was going to spend the day reading by the pool and letting herself have time just for her.

She gave her reflection a grin before throwing on a cover up and heading down to the pool. She still couldn’t get over the fact that this place had everything. It was a short walk to the pool, the sun dancing on her face. This was going to be the perfect afternoon. Wren reached the pool, glad to see that there weren’t too many people around. Wren had never felt very comfortable around other people when wearing such revealing clothing. But there was no point in being at the pool without donning a swimsuit. Finding a lounge chair, Wren set her things down, moving to remove her cover up so she could get the full benefit of the sun.

She sat down on the lounge, scooting back to recline. She took a moment to look out over the sparkling blue of the pool before reaching for her book, and opening it to the marked page. This was heaven. Wren couldn’t have been happier with deciding to do this today.
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet
Power: Electromagnetic Radiation

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Tobin sat in his room, staring blankly out the window. Today had to be the most boring day of his life. He wanted to get something started, to do something. When the fall came, he would have school and homework to occupy him, which he would complain about then, but now he wanted the structure. He had been training a lot the last couple of days, and he knew he needed to give it a rest, to let his body recover from all the taxing strain he had been putting it under. Still, he had to admit that the benefits to his rigorous workout schedule were beginning to show. He was becoming leaner and more muscled with every passing day, which he didn’t mind. His body was something that Tobin took pride in, and he knew he had reason to do so. It was not that he was narcissistic, or anything like that, but Tobin had worked hard to get where he was. And he worked hard to maintain it. There was nothing wrong in taking pride in a job well done.

Looking out the window, Tobin could see the side of the grounds that contained the pool, some athletic fields, and some woods. He couldn’t believe that he was actually living in a mansion, which was fully equipped with anything and everything from a pool and a lake to top-secret laboratories and training facilities. This truly was an amazing Institute for the Gifted. Of course, most people thought gifted as in intelligent students, but really it was a euphemism for mutants, for the next stage in human evolution. At least, that was what he had been taught upon arriving. Tobin still wasn’t sure if he bought the whole evolution thing. He figured they must have been zapped by some cosmic force or something. After all, wasn’t that how the superheroes in comic books got their powers?

Some movement at the pool caught Tobin’s eye and attention. He watched as a beautiful young woman made her way out to the deck and preceded to lie out and read. Tobin let out a low whistle at the sight before him. Without thought, he grabbed his swim trunks out of his drawers and quickly changed into them. He didn’t even bother with a shirt, shoes or a towel. He was out of his room and out into the pool area as quickly as he could be.

However, he didn’t want to appear like he had been rushing to get out to the pool, so he slowed it down a couple of yards before exiting the mansion. The hot sun felt good on his bare skin, but the hot pavement did not feel so good on his bare feet. Tobin made a direct line for the pool, so he could cool off the soles of his feet. Plus, he figured he could show off a bit for the young woman who was tanning and reading, little Ms. Bombshell. Stepping into the water on the first step, Tobin dove from the step and into the cool, blue pool. He came up from the dive, shaking extra water from his hair. He was in a part of the pool that was shallow enough for him to stand up, but he didn’t stay there for long. Kicking off the bottom of the pool, Tobin began to swim laps. He wasn’t the best swimmer, but he wasn’t incapable of fitness swimming either. As he swam, he wondered if Ms. Bombshell was watching and whether or not she liked what she saw.
Back to top Go down
Wren McKenna

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Wren was getting to an exciting place in her book. It wasn’t often that she got this much uninterrupted reading time and she was soaking up every minute of it. She was fully absorbed in her book to the point that she didn’t notice someone coming out to the pool to join her. Of course she couldn’t have missed the splash as whoever it was submerged themselves in the pool. She glanced up over the top of her book only to see someone breaking the surface of the water and shaking droplets from his hair. She recognized him from the capture the flag game as the gruff looking loner type. However, she couldn’t recall a name for him. She watched him for a second, unable to deny that he was at least conventionally handsome, but not her type my any means, she didn’t go for conventional.

He was muscular, to the point that she could guess that he put effort into his appearance. He moved to submerge himself again and it only took a few of his strokes for her to realize that he was playing a game. For someone who gave off the loner vibe, he seemed to be showing off for her now. Realizing this, Wren could only chuckle to herself and turn her gaze back to her book. She could still hear him splashing about but she kept herself occupied with her reading. However, she could feel his eyes on her every few minutes. Shaking her head, Wren let out a sign trying to ignore him.

Her attempts didn’t last long. It was hard to concentrate, knowing that you were being watched. She let out another sigh, and rolled her eyes lowering her book and looking at him in annoyance. “Can I help you?” she called out to him. She watched him expectantly. However she didn’t wait for an answer. Picking her book back up, she gave him a sarcastic smile and turned to give her back equal sun exposure. She couldn’t imagine that this guy was really trying to impress her. One, he didn’t seem like the kind of guy who would be interested in a girl like her, and second he wasn’t being successful if that was his intent. So instead she’d let him keep swimming and she’d keep reading. If he was trying so hard, he’d have to try something else.
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 5:59 pm

While swimming, Tobin made a conscious decision to stop smoking. Of course, he would never follow through with the idea, but he could feel the effect the smoke was having on his lungs. That, coupled with the fact that he hadn’t swam any long distance in quite some time, made his lungs burn and he had to keep himself from gasping for air every time he took a breath. After all, showing off lost it’s effectiveness if you weren’t that good at what you were showing off. Tobin was good swimmer, technique-wise; he was just out of practice when it came to actually swimming, which led him to be out of breath. Showing off also didn’t work if the other party wasn’t paying attention, which Ms. Bombshell seemed to be doing. Every time Tobin looked up at the girl, she was reading her book and not giving him the time of day, which was really frustrating and annoying. Still, he swam because sooner or later he would annoy her. That would grab her attention if nothing else did.

“Can I help you?”

Bingo, Tobin thought to himself. He finished out his lap before looking up at the young woman reading on the pool deck. He couldn’t quite make out what she was reading, but from the size of the volume, he expected it to be something of note and worth. The fact that it wasn’t Cosmo or Lucky – two magazines his mother had subscribed to and two magazines that contained nothing but trash – was a good sign. “I’m sorry,” Tobin called out to the reading girl. “Was I bothering you?” Tobin shook the loose water from his hair before gliding over to the side of the pool closest to the girl. “You know, you could have just asked me to stop.” There was sarcasm and taunting in his voice. “A simple ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ work wonders, but you’ll remember that for next time.”

Tobin grabbed the lip of the pool and lifted half of his body out of the water. Then, he extended his right hand to Ms. Bombshell. “I’m Tobin Abernathy, mutant from California,” he said, waiting for her to shake his hand. “And who might you be?”
Back to top Go down
Wren McKenna

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Wren rolled her eyes as he called back to her. He had a tone that confirmed her suspicion that he was trying to show off for her benefit. She turned to face him, watching him in exasperation. “Your swimming wasn’t bothering me. I have no problem with you swimming.” She said, her voice icy. “However, knowing that you’re only swimming to try and get attention is a bit on the obnoxious side… So please continue enjoying your swim, and I thank you for allowing me to continue to enjoy my afternoon in peace.” She retorted sarcastically.

The attitude this guy was giving off was certainly less than appealing to her. She was already ready to pick her book back up and ignore him. However, that was when he decided to lift himself out of the pool. Her type or not, Wren could only ignore someone as handsome as this guy so much. What girl would be able to look away from a muscular man pulling himself out of a pool? She had to force herself to blink a few times, trying desperately to quell the blush that was threatening to show on her face. Wren mentally kicked herself for allowing herself to fall for such simple minded tricks.

Forcing her annoyed countenance to return, Wren glanced at his extended hand, hesitating to take it just for a moment so he’d get the point, maybe. Finally however, her need to be polite won out and she leaned forward with a sigh and took his hand. “Wren McKenna, young lady who will set you on fire if she must from Con—New York…” she stammered, deciding at the last second that she didn’t want to give him too much detail about where she came from. She didn’t even know him, and on top of that he was already annoying her.
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Woah there Ice Queen, Tobin thought as Ms. Bombshell replied to his comments, but behind the ice of her voice was a passion and a fire to her words. Tobin could dig that. He liked a girl who could dish sarcasm just as much as he could. It meant that she was less likely to take the wrong way something he said sarcastically. It helped that this girl was an absolute knockout, beautiful bombshell. He stared into her green eyes that were framed by her golden hair and couldn’t help but think she had to be the most beautiful girl in the world.

And Tobin couldn’t help but smile at the look she gave him when he lifted himself out of the pool. So she wasn’t completely a lost cause. There was some attraction there, even if it was purely physical. Hey, Tobin could work with that. Besides, he was a 16 – almost 17 – year old young man. He didn’t see himself having a serious relationship for some time. Right now, he could use a little eye candy. And from that look she was giving him, she could use some too. Tobin was glad when she finally decided to take his hand. Her hands were just as soft as they looked, and as she introduced herself, Tobin thought the name fit her well. She was as beautiful as a songbird. He smiled wider at her misspeak on her home state, but he decided to let it slide. She would tell him the truth sooner or later. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Wren McKenna,” he replied. “I hope you don’t mind, but I am just going to lay out on the deck and dry off. Though, I do appreciate your permission to continue my swim.”

With that, he let go of her hand, as reluctant as he was to do so, and he lifted himself fully out of the pool. He made his way over to a spot next to her and lay down on the hot concrete. The deck was relaxing after the cool swim he had just taken. He closed his eyes and lay under the sun, letting his skin soak in the rays. It felt good to be under the sun. Plus, with the look Wren had given him, he was giving her another eyeful that he doubted she would be able to resist. All in good time, he thought to himself. All in good time.
Back to top Go down
Wren McKenna

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Wren could feel him watching her as she spoke, making her slightly uncomfortable. She fidgeted slightly, trying to play it off as a simple comfort adjustment. His eyes locked on hers and for some strange reason she couldn’t really tear hers away either. His eyes were this bright shade of ocean blue. No matter how his attitude was rubbing her right now, for some reason Wren couldn’t get over his eyes. It took a moment for her to pull her hand away from his, and lean away, hoping a little more distance would make her rationale return.

She knew he’d seen he watch him rise over the edge of the pool, and she kicked herself again for that. Just feed into his ego Wren….way to go… she chastised internally. She hated feeling so shallow, but in the back of her mind she just couldn’t deny the fact that he was attractive. Every girl could recognize attractive men, even if they weren’t attracted to them. Nice smile… her thoughts slipped before she could catch herself. She needed to stop this, it was making her angry at how much she was falling for his game. She was smarter than this!

Wren had to force herself to look away as he lifted himself the rest of the way out of the water. He stood there for a moment in front of her. She could hear the water dripping from his as it hit the concrete deck, and she tried desperately to keep from giving him any more attention that would boost his arrogance. He explained that he was going to lay out to allow himself to dry in the sun and she lifted her hands up, palms up as if to say ‘by all means go right ahead…’ She had no reason to object to him, that would just give him more ammunition if she did anyway.

Instead, Wren reached for her book once again and leaned back in her chair, glad for the excuse to occupy her from falling into the rare case that she lacked self-control. That was until she heard him walk over beside her and lay on the concrete. Her mind raced knowing he was just laying there in the sun. All she could think about was how much she wondered how he looked in the sun and then she tried to shove that from her mind. Her eyes strained to stay on the pages of her book, but it wasn’t working well. She couldn’t stop her eyes from flickering over to him, taking in another aspect of his body and berating herself as she did. But there was no part of her that was strong enough to make her stop looking at his defined physique in the warm afternoon sun.

She turned her view back to her book once more and had to laugh softly to herself as she read the next line. “I'd as soon put that little canary into the park on a winter's day, as recommend you to bestow your heart on him!...He's not a rough diamond--a pearl-containing oyster of a rustic: he's a fierce, pitiless, wolfish man.” The cosmos was certainly playing one big joke on her.
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 am

Tobin lay on the concrete, feeling the warmth of both the sun and the stone radiate into him. He thought it weird that Wren had decided not to talk to him. After all, she had looked at his body as if she had been interested. Maybe she was more strong-willed than most girls, or she could just not swing his way. He wasn’t used to this kind of girl, but then again, the only girls he really ran with usually threw themselves at him. He wasn’t one to work for his supper, and he definitely liked to have his cake and eat it too. Wren would be a challenge, especially if his body had no more effect on her. He turned his face to the side so he could see her and what she was doing. He eyed her copy of Wuthering Heights. It looked like it had been through the ringer and back again. Tobin nodded to himself at what that meant about Wren. The Brontes were known for their strong female leads, and he figured Wren modeled herself after those characters.

A flick of Wren’s eyes, and Tobin realized that her self-control wasn’t absolutely an iron will. He turned his face back to the sky and smiled. It would take a while for him to dry off, and she could use all of that time to ogle him if she wished. In fact, as time progressed, he became amused at the situation of which they were both a part. Tobin could lie there and soak up the sun and her attention all day. It really was his favorite thing to do in the world. He pictured her hating herself for looking at him and for giving him the satisfaction of making her look. This whole hard to get thing was really fun Tobin had to admit.

Then, Wren laughed, and it totally through him off-guard. Could she be laughing at him? Was he acting like a fool right now? Immediately, that one noise caused him to get extremely self-conscious. Wren seemed like the kind of girl who would play with his ego only to shatter his world when she got the chance. Looking at her, he noticed that she was avidly scanning the pages of her book. She couldn’t have laughed at something in that book, of all books. Could she have? Tobin decided he would investigate a little.

Propping himself up on his forearms, he turned to look at Wren. “I didn’t think Wuthering Heights was such a comedy,” he said. “In fact, I don’t think anyone would look at any Bronte work and call it a comedy.” He paused for a moment before adding, “Well, maybe Emma, but I’m not sure if that’s actually the Brontes. I’m almost positive it’s Jane Austen. I never could keep the four of them separate.”
Back to top Go down
Wren McKenna

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:23 am

Wren couldn’t ignore the fact that after a few more glances in his direction, Tobin was smiling once again and she knew she’d been caught. Instantly she turned back to her book trying to play it off, but she knew she was busted. Oddly enough, knowing that he’d seen her gave her enough will power to turn completely back to her reading. But she should have known it wouldn’t be that easy.

She saw him sit up slightly out of the corner of her eye, but she was determined not to give him unwarranted attention. She felt his eyes one her, but she managed to maintain her resolve. Then he spoke again and it took all she had to keep from showing her surprise. Her eyes widened slightly but remained on the page she was reading. He knows Bronte….of all things, he knows Bronte…and Austen! How---what---wow… she thought. Her mind raced at the sudden turn of events. Wren never expected a guy, any guy, let alone this guy, to know anything about Bronte or Austen. It took her a moment to collect her thoughts enough to respond.

Once she was sure she was composed, Wren turned her attention back to Tobin. “I wasn’t laughing at anything comedic, more ironic. But you must forgive me for being surprised that you know Wuthering Heights, or Emma, or anything Bronte or Austen for that matter. I’m not trying to imply anything. Those are just books much more popular with women, men typically don’t care enough to read them.” She said, smirking slightly. If this guy could manage to impress her with some real knowledge, maybe he’d be worth a bit more effort.

With that in mind, Wren closed her book, setting it on her lap. Slowly she turned, to hang her legs over the side of the lounge in his direction, crossing them in a flourish. She leaned forward, placing her shin in her hand and giving him an expectant look. “Tell me…what do you think of Cathy and Heathcliff’s relationship?” she asked. Now it was her turn to show off and play her own games.
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 9:50 am

Irony. Tobin was rather familiar with irony and how it had a way of making life difficult. So, she had been laughing at something ironic. Tobin wondered just exactly what that could’ve been. Most books had some bits of irony in them, and the reader was always able to bring their own experience to the reading, making lines ironic that wouldn’t be ironic for one reader. However, Tobin didn’t have much time to ponder the situation because Wren grabbed his attention as she explained her surprise. You know about them when you want to impress women, Tobin thought to himself. Of course, he wouldn’t tell Wren that. “I just like to read,” he said matter-of-factly. “And it got to a point where the only thing left in the school library was Emma, so I read it. Then, I decided to read the rest of the genre because it was interesting, and these books are classics. They should be read by any well-rounded reader.” That last line was one his school librarian had given him when he had checked out his first Austen book.

Wren continued to ask him about his knowledge of the subject. Her question wasn’t unique; more, it was just unexpected. “Well, Charlotte Bronte called Heathcliff’s affections ‘perverted passion and passionate perversity,’” Tobin explained, “but I think that had more to do with the culture at the time than anything. I think I read once about how they had a ‘life-force relationship,’ meaning that their relationship was so primal and natural that it was tied into their very being, as if God Himself had decided to place the two together since before birth. And they felt it in their very soul, so no matter what happened, they would always find each other again.” Tobin stared into Wren’s beautiful green eyes as he spoke. He had never really discussed Wuthering Heights with anyone before, but he had written a paper on it during his sophomore year of high school (which was last year). “What do you think?” he asked in return.
Back to top Go down
Wren McKenna

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 11:41 am

To say Wren was shocked was somewhat of an understatement. Somehow Tobin had completely overlooked her entire display of trying to distract him with any sort of physical appeal. That completely threw her off guard from the beginning. Wren may not have known what guys saw in her, but she was aware that they saw it, and the fact was that despite her hatred of anything so shallow, she was a bit upset that he hadn’t even noticed her that way. She had stooped to that level, knowing, just knowing that he’d get distracted and trip over his own act. But somehow he’d ignored her, and if that wasn’t a hit to the self-confidence, she didn’t know what was.

Of course, to add insult to injury, he was able to retort to her question. She hadn’t expected him to say he’d actually read them. Maybe to say he’d talked about them in school. Looked them up on the internet just to have something to impress girls with. This was taking a much different turn than she had expected or intended. Then, as he answered her question, she had to do everything she could to keep control of the expression on her face. He knew descriptions by the author, he had his own analysis, and Wren was at a loss for words. And what was more he was right, well right wasn’t exactly the word, opinion can’t be “right” or “wrong” for that matter. But he had a convincing argument. It took her a moment to respond when he asked for her rebuttal.

“I mean, that all makes sense…” she mumbled once she’d gotten her mind back on track. “I’ve always been on both sides of the argument. Obviously Cathy and Heathcliff are one of literature’s classic couples. Victims of destiny as a lot of people say. But part of me has always thought that even destiny wasn’t enough for those two. Catherine set pride above love and Heathcliff let his heart die. Everything that they did to each other in the name of love and revenge was horrible.” She explained letting out another laugh. “Explaining it that way, I don’t know why I’ve read it so many times…I guess its just fascinating that even after so much anger and cruelty, they still love each other…”
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 12:07 pm

The constipated look on Wren’s face could only make Tobin smile. Yeah, that’s write, Wren, he thought to her. [i]I do have a brain and an opinion. I’m not just this dumb guy who only thinks of one thing. I can be sophisticated. And I’m good looking. Good luck trying to fight off that combination.[i] He smiled bigger at that thought. She was feeding into his plan – hook, line and sinker. It was too easy, really, which was slightly depressing. He had expected more of a struggle from this one, more of a challenge, but he must have guessed wrong. It happened sometimes, but usually in the manner that he thought that the girl would be easier to get than she was. This turn of events was a welcomed one.

Tobin listened to Wren’s own analysis of the book and of the relationship. He smiled at her thoughts, finding them astute and well processed. She saw the downside to all of the drama that the two suffered, and for some reason, Tobin felt that she identified with them somehow. He understood her amazement at their love. Even as a younger teenage boy, he had been amazed at everything they had gone through, yet they still loved each other. He had called it stupid then, but now with the advent of his powers and the fact that anyone he ended up with ran the risk of death, Tobin was willing to believe in a love like that.

“I think it’s beautiful,” Tobin told Wren. “Even if it was intelligent design or by self-volition, the fact that they still loved each other through thick and thin shows that their love was real. So many people claim to love one another, but they really are only after what they can get from that person. It is a parasitic love, one that steals and robs but never gives. Sure, Catherine and Heathcliff had those moments too, but in the end, they came back to each other. They loved each other so deeply that it survived everything.” He kept eye contact with Wren while he spoke, trying his best to read her expression. “Can you imagine a love like that?”
Back to top Go down
Wren McKenna

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm

All the doubts she’d had about the effectiveness of her plan faded as he spoke again. He watched her with a confidence that he’d managed to plant the right seeds. He was so sure that he was still winning. He had his entire response down pat and thought he was reeling her in. He had no idea that she’d just caught him on his bluff. She had the ammunition she needed. As far as Wren was concerned, the only thing this guy needed was a healthy dose of reality. He must have been on of those guys used to working his way into the hearts of almost any girl he wanted, well perhaps he’d met his match.

Knowing that the trap had been set, Wren could play with her full game now. She had the whole plot in her mind and there was nothing that could throw her off track. As he spoke she smiled slightly, feigning sincere interest in his hyper-romanticized retort. She knew exactly how to alter her expression to make it look as if she was falling into his act. Her body language reacted perfectly. He continued and she leaned forward slightly, her eyes locked on his. She grinned as if completely sucked into his words and ducked her head shyly.

“I—I can’t imagine a love like that, no.” she muttered shyly. She turned up to give him a warm smile. “You talk as if you’ve felt that way before…or is it simply wishful thinking. I’d love to think that I’d find something like that…” she reached to tuck a wisp of hair behind her ear. Wren poured it on, flashing him her most flirtatious glances. “Its hard to find a guy who wants that too, you know? Willing to admit that love is such a strong force…”

She was sure she’d played it up well. Now it was time to trigger the trap. “But, I’m a little confused. You speak of such a powerful love, a love that I can’t even imagine…but obviously Heathcliff and Catherine shared. Except…well, I don’t even think Emily Bronte imagined that love…” In an instant her warm smiled turned to a triumphant one. “No, in fact I know she didn’t because Heathcliff and Cathy never ended up together…she died giving birth to her husband’s child…a husband not Heathcliff and he went on to marry someone else, and live a life of cruel revenge with only Catherine’s ghost to talk to.”

She leaned away from him once again. “I knew it! You know these books for no better reason than to be able to give deep, romantic opinions to girls and make them into the putty you find in their heads! Well, Tobin Abernathy, I’m not some mush headed cheerleader and I’m not going to fall for your stupid high school tricks!” She jumped up suddenly, glaring down at him. “And I’m leaving now…” she said turning to go, gathering her book and her towel and taking a huffing step away from him.
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Tobin listened as Wren replied to his comments. He could tell that she was eating it up, or at least, she looked like she was. Her voice sounded shy and coy. She was acting coy and playful, which was exactly how he wanted her to be. Tobin was no stranger to this kind of flirting, but he was thrown off by one thing. Wren’s eyes weren’t in the least bit shy or coy. There was a fire burning behind those eyes, and for some reason, Tobin knew that was something up, so he decided it would be best to hold his tongue. He might have a snake’s tongue, but even snakes stayed away from fire for fear of getting burned.

Wren asked him if he thought that love was such a strong force, and to be honest, Tobin didn’t think he could answer the question. He couldn’t think of a time in his life when he had felt loved, especially since the advent of his powers. Those changed him, and this new Tobin definitely didn’t know what it was like to be loved. Love was a faint whisper in the back of his head that he couldn’t quite here but remembered the full sound as the most beautiful melody he’d ever heard. Greatly composed, the music had left an empty feeling, like the silence after an echo. It hurt. It was painful, and Tobin didn’t let anyone see that pain, not even this vixen whom seemed to be playing games of her own. She could shoot him flirtatious glances, but he could see the wheels turning inside. No one could BS a BSer.

That was when Wren began with the second part of her answer, and Tobin couldn’t help but smile. She was good, quite the manipulator. Perhaps, she would be a little harder at conquering than he thought, but one thing he knew; she would be his. He listened to her diatribe, agreeing that he hadn’t really included that part of the story in his questions. And when she pegged him straight on, Tobin’s annoyance began to grow. So what if that was how he was. She didn’t have to be so indignant about it, and Wren was just as guilty at trying to manipulate him.

“Her ghost haunted him,” Tobin replied passionately. “Their love wasn’t even conquerable by death, and you say that that is not a strong enough love like I am talking about.” He had to watch himself or else he might start boiling the pool with some intense radiation. “And the fact that they couldn’t be together drove them both crazy. The love was inside them, but they denied it. They fought against it for the sake of their own social betterment, and in the end, it killed them. Sure, Catherine died giving birth to her daughter, but she wasn’t in the strongest state because of her insanity.”

Tobin stood up as Wren did the same. “I did like the books, Wren,” he told her as she walked away from him. “And I never thought you were some mush headed cheerleader. They don’t read Bronte or Austen unless they have to.” He stepped closer to her, grabbing her wrist in his. “You are different,” he whispered. “I don’t know why, but you are.” He stood there holding on to her, surprised that he said so much because he was definitely not the kind of person to show his cards so fully. If only Wren wasn’t so completely infuriating, then maybe he might have believed himself.
Back to top Go down
Wren McKenna

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

As she shouted at him, Wren could tell that Tobin was getting annoyed. Good, give him a taste of his own medicine… she thought, glaring at him as the words flowed from her. He argued back at her, still shouting deeply romanticized arguments. She didn’t want to listen to him any more. She didn’t like being cornered in her own area of expertise. She didn’t want to admit to herself that he was still accurate in his analysis. She just wanted to go and keep believing that he was some hormone driven playboy. Her breaths came in gusts as she just stared at him a moment before she turned to go.

She was more than ready to storm off when she turned. It was taking all she could to not create her signature stress relief sparks. She was in mid stride when she heard him speak again. His voice was from a higher angle and she knew he’d stood up as well. He shouted at her, telling her her decision about him and his decision to read her favorite books was wrong and that her assumption about what he thought of her was wrong as well. Then suddenly she felt his hand around her wrist.

She was about to turn and give him a piece of her mind. Her head whipped around, and she was more than ready to demand he let her go. Now she was getting angry, and no matter how much this guy was bugging her she didn’t want to lose control of her powers and hurt anyone. Then he spoke, his voice softer than it had been. Her struggling against his grip slackened at his words. She hadn’t expected anything like he’d actually said. Her anger faded into the background for a moment. For right now she could only look at him.

He sounded so sincere, and something in his face told her that he hadn’t meant to say what he had, hadn’t meant to reveal that much about himself. “Tobin…” she said softly, unsure how to finish her statement. She just stood there for a moment, her eyes flickering back from his hand on her wrist and then back to his face. It felt like hours before she spoke again. “You can’t just say some flattering thing and get me to change my mind…” she said quietly, her voice not nearly as stern or sincere as she’d wanted them to sound. “I don’t know what you’re used to happening when you meet girls, but I’m not someone that easily swayed…” she continued, using the words to try and convince herself as much as him.
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 6:06 pm

As Wren turned around when he grabbed her hand, he saw that telltale fire in her eyes, and he had to admit to himself that she looked just as beautiful as ever. The green had grown more vibrant, as if she had come more alive because of her passion and her anger. If this was how she looked when she was angry and frustrated, then he wanted to go on making her that way for the rest of his life. He could tell that he was annoying her, and she was definitely doing the same to him. Still, like he had inadvertently admitted, there was something different about her that he didn’t quite understand.

Tobin knew that his words had softened her to some degree. It took more than a few placed words to totally win someone over, especially when they had been so angry. Still, the authenticity of the moment was enough to make him gag if he had been a bystander, watching from outside. As it was, he was so wrapped up in everything that he wasn’t sure how he was feeling. As she talked, some hope bloomed inside of him, but it was crushed by the ending words that Wren said to him. Didn’t she know that he thought she was different? He had literally just told her that not a few seconds ago.

“I know you’re different,” he retorted. The fact that he felt that way about her was so freaking annoying that a part of him wanted to let go of her and never talk to her again, but something deeper inside of him wouldn’t let him release her wrist. “You don’t have to go around throwing it in my face all the time.” Was she playing with him again? He didn’t know if he would be able to handle all the games that Wren was capable of playing in this situation. Tobin’s mask had slipped for that second, and he was mad that it had because it left him open to attack. He had made himself vulnerable, and she was probably playing with him. “Go ahead and think what you think about me, Wren,” he said bitterly. “I don’t have to convince you.” I need to convince myself that it’s not worth it, he told himself. “And so you’ll remember just exactly what happened here today.”

All the bitterness and anger inside of Tobin was enough for him to easily generate some heat. Infrared rays weren’t too dangerous, but they would leave a burn on her wrist where his hand was. He focused the heat, letting it take his anger and bitterness with it. Screw Wren. He didn’t need her, and she’d know that. Deep down, he was appalled by what he was doing, but a small part of him reveled in the vengeance of the moment, striking with physical pain to balance out the emotional pain he was feeling.
Back to top Go down
Wren McKenna

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Wren’s eyes were locked on Tobin’s for a countless amount of time. Her wrist turned in his grip, trying half-heartedly to pull away. She could tell that he was still completely annoyed by her, she felt the same way, but there was something more there and Wren was actually afraid to think that she’d try and figure out what it was. If she let herself think, she’d recognize that she knew he was different too. To someone open to really seeing him, Tobin’s attitude, and obvious past with girls would have obviously been nothing more than on the surface. But Wren didn’t want to see that. She’d seen what happened to her when people she let her guard down for got to her. She would avoid letting that happen again.

She knew he could see how unconvincing she was at this point. She could only guess how weak she must look now. She just wanted him to get fed up enough to let her go. She didn’t like the fact that he was getting to her in more ways than just making her angry. She could only look away from his face when he spoke again. He’d hit it on the head. He had to have realized that she was trying more to convince herself with her words to him. For some reason his accusatory words stung more than anything he’d said before. The fact that he thought of her now as judgmental and cruel tore at her for some reason, even though that had been her intention.

When he paused after telling her he had no need to convince her, Wren moved to try and pull away again. She wasn’t really listening to what he said next. However it wasn’t possible to ignore the burning that started under his hand. It only took a few seconds for her to feel like her skin was sizzling. As soon as the pain registered, Wren began trying to wrench her hand from his grip. She didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of hearing her in pain at first so she simply tried to pull away and gritted her teeth. But soon the pain was too much.

Her anger and reflexes to defend herself were building and it got to the point where she couldn’t withstand it anymore. All at once she let out a yell of pain and her free hand flew up toward his chest, sending a massive fireball barreling into his chest. It took a few more moments, but she managed to get her hand free from his and she reached to cradle her still burning arm. She bit her tongue to keep from crying. She knew she’d need her tears soon, but she didn’t want to cry in front of this guy. She looked up at him angrily, moving to shoot another fireball his way just to dissipate some of her rage.

“What is your problem?!” she screamed. Images of her father’s angry face and flying fists filled her head and clouded her vision for a moment. “I knew it! Men like you are all the same! I haven’t trusted anyone like you for six years and I should have known better than to try and start now!” She looked back down at her arm, curling it into her chest. She didn’t want to be here anymore. This guy was going to be no better than her father…she should have seen that coming. She turned on her heel and moved to hurry back toward the mansion, allowing the tears to fall on her wrist once her back was turned, glad to have the relief from the burning they offered.
Back to top Go down
Tobin Abernathy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 pm

The sick and twisted pleasure that Tobin received from the pain he was inflicting was intoxicating. He couldn’t help but let out a low laugh as Wren struggled to be free. He was in control, and his powers helped him do that. He dominated the situation, and that filled his head with thoughts of grandeur. He was stronger and more equipped to live in this nuclear age. Radiation, he was practically immune to the stuff because he could just redirect the different energy. Every form of energy emitted some kind of wave whenever it was released. Tobin could tap that, making him able of ultimate power, or at least, that’s what his delusional mind told him. He was drunk on control and power, giddy with the feeling of it all.

Then, Wren did something that snapped him out of his trance-like state. She threw a fireball at him, sending it barreling straight to his chest. That’s when Tobin remembered that he had no idea what Wren’s power really was. Without thought, he let go of her wrist and reflexively felt out the fire coming at him. After all, fire was just a mixture of infrared and visible light resulting from a combustion reaction. In theory, he should be able to shut it off, but he had never been good with that end of the spectrum. Still, somehow, instinctively, he redirected the fireball away from his chest. It took a lot of will and strength, draining him of all of his anger and pleasure. Tobin stood there, an empty shell compared to what he had been at the height of his power trip.

Words were being thrown at him, and it took Tobin a second to understand what Wren was saying. Well, she was screaming. He felt hurt that he had hurt her that way. Who had that person who had hurt Wren been? Tobin had never acted that way before, but he had enjoyed it for some reason. That scared him. Wren said something about six years, and Tobin found himself wondering what had happened six years ago to change her view of men. Who had hurt her so bad that the aftereffects were still affecting her today? In either case, he had royally screwed this one up, and remorse filled him, replacing the anger and pleasure he had felt not too long ago.

“I’m sorry,” he said as she walked away from him. “I really am sorry.” His words were probably too low for her to hear, and a part of him didn’t care. He had blown it. Turning his back on Wren as she walked away, he walked back to the pool. He would need to work off the deep emotions that were welling up inside of him. Diving into the water, he went back to swimming laps, taking them harder and faster than before. He would work away the pain, and maybe he’d go back to his room feeling somewhat decent. Though, he doubted that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)   Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rest and Relaxation...and just plain rude (Tobin)
Page 1 of 1